The much maligned backpacker? Some people hate them and some love them. I happen to have been involved in the Backpacker industry for about 15 years and love them…well not all of them, but I did meet approximately 12,000 a year!
In all my years of meeting backpackers, I would say that less than 10% need to be tied to a post (next to an ants nest) covered with honey and then lectured on life. These are not real backpackers; they have no idea. It’s the other 90% who have been some of the most interesting and beautiful people I have ever met.
When we brought our hostel in Bondi Beach (Australia), the neighbours where hostile and abusive. The previous owner had run the place into the ground, taking what he could from his guests and not giving anything in return. His philosophy was, “Count the money, lock the office, go home and asses the damage in the morning.” This, I believe, was the major factor in the neighbours ‘anti-backpacker’ attitudes, and their bad reputation in Bondi.
We took back control of the hostel, renovated, employed new staff and gave the place a good old slap of atmosphere.